Year of establishment
Number of members
About 35 (~ 130 persons)
Giorgio Cangioli is a Senior Informatics Consultant with more than 20 years of experience in digital social and health care, and e-gov projects (European, National and Regional). Since the epSOS project (~2010), he has been involved in most of the relevant European cross-border care projects (Trillium/Trillium II; OpenMedicine/UNICOM; ASSESS CT; x-eHealth and many others).
He is member of the HL7 Technical Steering Committee; HL7 ADDC; HL7 CDA MG; HL7 Europe Foundation Board; ISO WG1 and WG6. He is co-facilitator of the International Patient Summary (IPS) HL7 project; and member of the CEN, ISO and IHE IPS project teams. As chair of HL7 Italy, Giorgio is voluntary collaborating with Italian national agencies and regions for the development of the document specifications for the National EHR system.
HL7 Italy has a single Technical (Steering) Committee with coordination purposes. Technical work items are managed by dedicated project teams. Most of the recent projects were referring to the development of HL7 CDA R2 and HL7 FHIR IGs.
In the past we had projects dedicated to the localization of HL7 V2 and HL7 V3 Messaging; and HL7/ISO EHR-S FM profiling.
Some highlights and major achievements - since establishment
- Collaboration agreement with the National Agency AgID (Agency for Digital Innovation) to support the standardization of the documents (HL7 CDA) shared through the National EHR (Fascicolo Sanitario Elettronico)
- Formal collaboration with the Italian ISO member body (UNI/UNINFO); with mutual membership recognition.
- Since 2013, excluding this year, yearly workshops involving national and regional authorities to promote the use of (HL7) standards to support digital health services have been organzied.
- Technical Workshops on dedicated topics (the last one in January 2020 for fostering the creation of a FHIR community in Italy)
- In person and eLearning (HL7 Fundamentals and HL7 FHIR HL7 Fundamentals) educational sessions. (Increasing attendees)
- Organization of IHIC 2016
- Participation of HL7 IT representatives to most of the European and Global HL7 events (HL7 WGM, IHIC, ..)
- Active engagements of HL7 IT representatives in the HL7 Organization with leadership roles.
- Several delivered products
- One HL7/ISO EHR-S FM Functional Profile
- Eight HL7 CDA Implementation Guides (all National specifications are based on these IGs);
- One HL7 FHIR IG (under ballot)
- Three HL7 V2 localization documents
- Two HL7 V3 Messaging localization documents
- Other supporting documentation (e.g. white papers; technical specification for the injection of CDA in PDF for electronic signature; and others)
Plans for the future?
- Consolidate the HL7 FHIR community in Italy
- Continue the development of IT FHIR IGs
- Adopt computable formal specifications for HL7 IT CDA IGs
- Organize interactive sessions ("-a-thon" events) for supporting users with the standard adoption (focus FHIR and CDA IGs)
- Increase the number of attendees of the eLearning sessions
- Renew HL7 Italy leadership