Year of establishment
Number of members
Approximately 20 members from industry, hospitals, government
Josť Costa Teixeira: Working in healthcare since 2001 and living in Belgium since 2009 - and being an active contributor to SDOs like HL7, IHE, ISO, DICOM... since that same year, Josť has been a promoter of standardization in healthcare (in Belgium and other countries), using a rapid and early adoption of standards.
Technical Lead and working groups
Technical Leads are Robin Bosman, Karlien Erauw and Josť Costa Teixeira. Currently HL7 Belgium organizes the following working groups: Medication; Referral prescription; Security; Validation.
Some highlights and major achievements - since establishment
Cooperation with government institutions
- Several government institutions have been pushing for standardization and were decisive in the formation and launch of HL7 Belgium: eHealth, VAZG, RIZIV/INAMI, RSW. Since the formation of the standardization groups, the number of projects and companies joining HL7 discussions - to join the work, to launch new projects or simply to check some ideas - is growing. HL7 is getting recognition as a support group where experts collaborate around a topic and produce normative or informative content. The Belgian eHealth Architecture Work Group and other recognized groups are partnering with HL7 for several initiatives.
- We have successfully agreed on a collaboration process between HL7 Belgium and the different organizations for standardization using FHIR - from proposal to legal acceptance.
- Several projects: eHealth Federal platform - core BE FHIR profiles, VAZG (Flemish Agency for care and health) - DZOP (Digital Care and Support platform). RIZIV/INAMI - Several projects to enhance the current interoperability architecture. While these are emerging projects, the Belgian initiatives have resulted in a good engagement with the international community and a great uptake domestically.
Events, e.g. IHIC
- Organization of a Projectathon / Plugathon (scheduled for March 2020, delayed for safety reasons)
- Several training events
- Several weekly meetings.
- Participation in DevDays and Connectathon
What are the plans for the future?
- HL7 Belgium wants to be recognized as a work partner that can provide advice and accelerate standardization and consequently improve time to market and safety of connected health systems.
- Tactically, we want to: Grow and sustain the HL7 implementer community; Gather healthcare standardization efforts; continue to affirm the role of an open, independent group like HL7 Belgium. Contribute to the FHIR community and make Belgium FHIR adoption a good showcase for rapid and good adoption of a new standard.